Hello Class! Welcome to Hastac. Here’s a quick set of instructions for how to get started with blogging on hastac with COLT 18.02 in our Group.
- If you’re reading this, you’re already inside hastac.org. I suggest opening a second window in your browser with the URL www.hastac.org so that you can read this instructions and follow along.
- Take a few minutes to get a sense of what Hastac is before you join. Read the “About” page and explore the site. How would you describe Hastac?
- On the home page, find the blue menu and click on “Join HASTAC”. (After you have set up your account, you will click on “sign in” instead.)
- Follow the instructions on the “Join” page. This profile will be public, so if you prefer, you can use a pseudonym for your Display Name. However, it will be clear that you are blogging as part of COLT 18.02 at Dartmouth College. HASTAC is a purely educational online community. If you have concerns about your public participation, please talk with me and we will reach a solution you are comfortable with.
- To join our class Group, you will need to return to the home page. In the same blue column on the right side of the screen, select “Explore Groups” or simply click this link. If you search for our course title, you will find our Group: “COLT 18.02 “Humanist in the Computer: DH and Social Justice” (Dartmouth)”. This is the group you want to join. It enables us to gather our blog posts in one place that will make it easier to find each other’s work and respond to each other. It also signals to other Hastac users that we are a class.
- You must each publish a blog post to our group for your peers to find that post and for it to count towards your grade. You do that by scrolling down below the blue button that says “Add Another Item.” You will find the option to “Post to Groups”. Here you select our class group.
- Select Content visibility: Our default is “public.” Public means “accessible to all site users.” Private means that only our group members can read your post. NOTE: If you choose “Private to Group” and do not select at least one group, this content will be public.
- You can Publish right away, Save as Draft, or Preview a draft. You have to Publish your post in order for us to find it, read it, and respond to it.
- Need Help? Look here: It’s likely that someone else had the same question and the answer may be in the knowledge base.